Welcome to the newly refurbished Lion Library, so named because its first collection came from North Sydney Technical High School which had a lion as its school emblem. Killara High School’s Lion Library caters for our students and staff for 21st century learning. The library features collaborative learning spaces, study spaces, a dedicated study area for our senior students, flexible shelving and furniture, and the very popular charging facilities.
New laptops have been purchased for class use, and new technologies continue to be installed. Projectors accompanied by remote controlled screens and a TV panel now cater for larger audiences. The Lion Library offers programs, holds events, manages activities and encourages student leadership in our Technology Library Teams project, all of which develop 21st century skills in our students. We look forward to your visit.
THE LIBRARY TEAM
LIBRARY OPENING TIMES
Monday: 8:00am to 3:00pm
Tuesday: 8:00am to 4:00pm
Wednesday: 8:00am to 2:30pm
Thursday: 8:00am to 3:00pm
Friday: 8:00am to 4:00pm
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
The library organises and implements a range of workshops to support student learning, including:
- BYOD and Library Induction
- Senior Student Research Skills
- Subject Specific Research
- Referencing and Copyright
We respectfully acknowledge that this school stands on the Country of the Dharug and Guringai peoples, who are the traditional custodians and leaders of this land. We recognise the strength, resilience and capacity of Aboriginal Peoples and their relationship with the land on which we learn and lead. We acknowledge and respect continuing Aboriginal culture and its contribution to the life of this community and region.
We celebrate the ongoing influence that community can have on our young people.. We would also like to pay respect to our elders past, present and emerging, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal peoples.
Kate Aston- Year 12 student from 2019
KHS School Crest – 1974 version
Did you know…
- That “Killara” is an aboriginal word, meaning “permanent, or “always there”.
- KHS’s mission statement indicates that “Killara educates for life…”
- KHS was established in 1968 and occupied the Koola Avenue site in 1970. “The school acknowledges and celebrates its heritage in public education through its links with the former North Sydney Technical High School from which came KHS’s founding principal, Mr T.E. Hornibrook and the first collection in the Lion Library.” [Excerpt from KHS Information Booklet 2003]
The school motto is:
“CONSERVA : PROGREDERE”
[Which is derived from…]
‘Preserve that we may develop
Continue that we may advance
Maintain that we may progress.’
This page will be continually updated, but for now you will find some wonderful stories, images, extracts and documents on both the school’s history, and the local history of our area by clicking here. [Compiled by Francie Campbell, Teacher -Librarian, Killara High School]