The construction of Killara High started in 1968, and the decision to build the school was taken because at the time the population growth in the area was increasing rapidly.
On the western side of the area there was to be Gordon West High; to the south was Chatswood High, and to the north, St. Ives and Turramurra High schools. These schools could contain the population growth.
The original site for the proposed school was at East Lindfield (and the end of Wellington Road), but the land was too steep for the construction envisaged.
A decision to build the school was made in the late 1950’s.
During the years 1968 and 1969 the first Killara students were boarded at Turramurra High School, and in 1970 Killara High School was opened to students (Blocks A, B and C).
The first principal was Mr T.E. Hornibrook, who had been principal of North Sydney Technical High School (NSTHS).
NSTHS was closed because of a drop in population in the North Sydney area.
Quite a few of the teachers at the new Killara High School also came from that school.
Blocks D and E were added in 1972 and 1974 respectively.
The land on which Killara High is built is approximately 3.7882 hectares, or between 8 ½ and 9 acres.
It was hoped at that time that another block would be built in the near future, as the school is in desperate need of an Assembly Hall and larger library.
Plans for an Assembly Hall were made in the early 70’s; it was to have been put where the car park is, but a shortage of funds postponed its erection to a future date.
The original site was above the Ecology Area, below the main assembly area.
A brief chronological history of Killara High School 1968-1974.
- Construction of KHS began in 1968. A decision to build the school was made in the late 1950’s.
- KHS began with an intake of three classes of first formers [Year 7]. First formers boarded at a local high school – Turramurra HS – for two years, while the KHS was being built in Koola Avenue.
- Another four classes were enrolled.
- It was decided that the entire collection of the library at North Sydney Technical High School, which had a lion as a main motif, and which closed in 1969, was to be donated to the new KHS. There were approximately 11,000 books. The original site of the KHS library was the present Staff Common Room (in A Block), and memorial gates and a bronze plaque was erected to acknowledge the gift and its origins. A Presentation Ceremony was conducted on the 7 November, 1970.
- The first Principal of KHS was Mr T. Hornibrook.
- KHS opened with an enrolment of 480 students in three forms and fourteen classes.
- Blocks A, B and C were occupied.
- Quite a few of the first teachers came from North Sydney Technical High School which was closed because of a drop in population in the North Sydney area.
- KHS presented its first candidates for the School Certificate.
- The second Principal of KHS was Mrs B. Bowen.
- Block D was added.
- KHS presented its first candidates for the High School Certificate.
- Block E was added.